[JRNL] Reading Bookshop Carlton

Readings Bookstore – 309 Lygon St, Carlton, VIC 3053
(Note: Gonna be putting relevant images at the beginning of the blog post in case the first image of the post isn't actually related to what I was doing! Just for the sake of not having our Oporto meal be the thumbnail for this post, hehe.)
Sunday, March 8th 2020
11:27am. Two weeks ago, I volunteered to speak at the Creative Writing Orientation for the 2020 First Years. As a reward, I got a $50 Readings voucher! When I told my sister about it, she was so excited to go. Admittedly I didn't plan to go today but she suggested we do so last night, so now we're here. We're gonna ride to Melbourne Central to print out my voucher at RMIT, show her around, then head to the Reading Bookshop on Lygon Street via tram.

By the way, I already uploaded a post on Saturday, so this is a new post for the week! Gonna get this week's out of the way early, hehe. This is the logic I have.

12:04pm. Waiting at Melbourne Central's Starbucks with my sister. She loves to grab Frappucinos, I believe? I've never ordered anything from Starbucks before, and even as I look at the prices for the solid goods, I'm wilded out. I mean, $3 for a small macaron? Two for $5 if you buy a beverage after 3pm? It's just not worth it. This place is too luxurious for me. I'd rather buy a bigger meal at Hungry Jack's for $5... when you're poor, you pretty much know the money you have down to the cent. It's kind of sad.

Another reason why I've never ordered from Starbucks is that I don't drink coffee. I drink hot chocolate, but that's kind of a once in a while thing for me. Need to conserve every dollar I get in my allowance!

1:15pm.
Our Oporto meals! On the bottom is my $12 Chicken meal, on top is my sister's Double Oprego Burger meal. We grabbed Lift Lemonade and Peach Fuze Iced Tea respectively.
1:48pm. Currently riding the Number 6 Moreland tram to Lygon Street! I'm a little nervous since I rarely ride trams, but it's much easier when you have someone else with you. It's like sharing the experience of being lost (but don't worry! We aren't going to get lost, heh).

2:03pm. Entered the Readings bookstore. There's a kids version of it, "Readings Kids", right next door, across the alleyway! But of course, I wouldn't be able to get any maturer fiction in there. Here's some snapshots of the place, with some commentary.
Readings bookstore window!

Fiction books.

Geraldine Brooks' Year of Wonders... that brings back Year 12 PTSD.

New Release Fiction.

History books.

Stationary, Moleskin books, eyeglass cases, and other goodies! They had board games, card games, you name it! Even a light you strap in your purse to illuminate it when searching for things.

Lovely classics with rough, beautiful textured covers. I hope Travelling Tales, my work in progress, will one day take on this form, even if I have the only copy of it.

More textured books! They're available til March 31st, I think! Go get 'em!
2:45pm. Waiting for the tram to begin our journey home. Loved the bookshop! Could smell the intoxicating scent of papers and books as soon as I stepped in. A bit too noisy/crowded for my tastes if I'm being honest. I also sort of wish books were organised horizontally, it felt awful craning my neck and squatting down to find books while people tried to step around you and browse the shelves too. It took me a good couple of minutes to find what I wanted. Apparently all-black cover classic books are 3 for 2 at the moment! So that means, let's say you grabbed 3 books, you'd only get charged for the cheapest 2. Sounds awesome, if you get two slim books and then a big, fat one! Hehe.

6:24pm. Have been home for a while now. Below is a picture of what I got! The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde and Other Tales of Terror was $12.99AUD,  The Black Tulip was $17.99AUD, and Emma was also $12.99AUD. A bit weird, considering I got charged for The Black Tulip instead of Dr Jekyll and Hyde, but whatever. I also got an Everyday Tarot Card set for $17.99AUD. I spent my entire $50 voucher, and an extra $1! $1 for all of that! Well, I mean, I did put in the physical effort at the CW orientation, so there's the $50 for an hour.
Very happy with this selection! I was in the mood for reading some high society romance, so that's where Emma and The Black Tulip came from. I also want to be more educated on literature classics, hence opting for Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde's story, as well as some bonus others. I know what my train reading's going to be!
I've always wanted a Tarot card set. I think they can present a very interesting outlet to a person. Seems like they should be more spiritual, and I should have a fancy cloth and candles for them or something, but I hope to express an academic, practical spirit in these cards. Used on my work table, on an open notebook (for protection's sake, anyway!) and shuffle them absentmindedly when I need something to fidget with during a movie or something.

Once again, thanks again for reading! Please follow this blog via email if you liked this content, or even favourite it in your Bookmarks bar if you're that type! I know I am sometimes, hehe. I initially didn't want this blog to include personal posts like these, but I rarely have exciting outings like these and I'd like to document what I see in the world, as an Explorer of Stories, even in the everyday world. It's easy to see stories as only existing in media, but there are stories all around us, even if they aren't as exciting as the ones found in books. These posts will be tagged [JRNL], short for "Journal"! Do ya like my organised system? Hehe.

Also! Please, if you're free, visit the Carlton Readings book store! You might find something there that speaks to you. Sometimes when you're in desperate need, you'll find a book what will be just what you need to hear. It might be there, or in a library, or at one of the train bookshelves. Anywhere.

Happy exploring! Hey, that might be my new catchphrase, hehe. Take care and stay safe, 'til next time~

Comments

Popular Posts