[JRNL] Day 0: Precursor to Indigo

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."

Between my full-time study load that I was dedicated to scoring high in, and my half-hearted resolution to submit my writing to places and volunteer in RMIT activities, I missed a lot of shots. Even though I knew that opportunities rarely landed in one's lap, I had shamefully become complacent with passivity for the time being. While it might be understandable given my dedication to my studies, I'd been on break since early November and hadn't achieved any of my personal goals yet. Granted, November was a rest month, and December I was working on Christmas gifts (lots of notes to fold into tiny heart origami) and my New Years art, but I came into mid-January starting to feel a bit dissatisfied with my efforts. I was trying to look for suitable companies to apply for an internship to later in the year, and I was trying to work on my health as well, but the days seemed... all too samey. I was losing drive.

However, just as that was occurring... a golden opportunity landed in my lap. And it was so easy, so easy to say no. So easy to get wrapped up in my wariness of the situation and decline.

But I'm so glad I gave it a chance.

One evening, late last year, an Ubereats delivery landed on my doorstep. We weren't a household that ordered food. I grew panicked, dreading the responsibility that had been placed on my shoulders.

Contacting Uber Support on Twitter was no good, as they asked me to refer to the app. I consulted my friends, desperately seeking the motivation to muster the courage to go up to the neighbours' doors and ask. Even though the worst thing that could happen was "No, that's not mine", the worry that someone might claim food that wasn't theirs while the rightful owner starved ate me up inside.

As I nervously looked outside in between frantic texts to my friends, I noticed a driver pull up. He delivered a paper bag of food... to the house next door. And then it happened again.

I eventually made my way over and knocked on the door. I fidgeted, unsure if they'd respond. And if they didn't, what would I do with the package then? What if I had to ask the whole street and nobody said yes?

I flinched as I heard noises inside the house.

What if the person who opened the door was rude? What if they yelled at me? What if? Whatifwhatifwhatif--

The door opened. A tall woman with blonde hair and cute, circular gold-framed glasses smiled down at me. She was dressed in white, and the first thing I thought was "Angel". She spoke to me sweetly, as if I was the delivery person. 

"A-Ahaha, actually no, I'm from next door," I was running high off the anxiety and public politeness. "This was delivered to our house by mistake."

The Angel called to 'Tanner' in the other room. Looks like they now had two servings of his dinner. She was thankful in any case, and I skipped back to my home, happy that I'd done a good deed. I was amused that someone on Twitter had called out the Support account for referring me to their app despite me saying I didn't have it. Uber Support apologised and directed me to their website. Another user asked for the meal if I didn't want it. "Too late!" I smirked.'

In early January 2021, a cardboard box arrived at our doorstep, the word "Lily" written on the side in black sharpie. Its contents? An avocado, a loaf of bread, a tray of cherry tomatoes, and a paper bag of mushrooms.

My mother, named Lily, consulted the delivery person as he went to leave. It was indeed for our house number. It was indeed for someone named "Lily". He left, and my mother called up her sister, wondering if it was from a food bank. I mused over the food.

A single avocado?

"This seems like food... a young person might get delivered," I reasoned. "Like someone who forgot to get these extra items with their groceries." I eagerly brought it next door, and it did indeed belong to the Angel--or more correctly, Lily, and Tanner.

Lacking prudence but always up to compliment, I told her I thought she was an Angel the first time we met, since I was thankful she was so kind. I tended to say things without thinking properly of what reactions could be before hand, so I was immediately worried she'd be disturbed. Thankfully, Lily was flattered, and asked for my Facebook so we could be friends. We said goodbye, and I went home.

A couple of days later, on Sunday the 17th, I had just come back from a walk and happened to ask Lily about the previous owners of the house when she invited me over spontaneously. After a quick shower and dinner, I went over.

It was strange, standing in their house, looking from one of the bedroom windows, which was Tanner's streaming room, at my own bedroom window across the fence, obscured by its lace curtains. And standing in their backyard, able to see a little bit over the fence to the trees in my own back yard. I was in another world looking at my own in 3rd person.

After some chat, we played Super Mario Party together, but didn't get to finish the game. I went home so they could eat dinner. They were thinking of inviting me over on Wednesday night, to finish up our match, and I readily agreed. I was free, after all!

On Tuesday the 19th, I received a message from Tanner, asking for a favour regarding their upcoming film production. I hoped it wouldn't be to be an actor, given I laughed easily in front of a camera. Was it to draw concept art or something? Check out the footage and give feedback?

To my surprise, it was none of those things.

It was to become their COVID Safety Officer for the 4-day shoot on Phillip Island.

I was having lunch with my sister on an outing when I received this request. I asked for a few more details while I ate. The walk back home was filled with decision-making. "You should go," she encouraged me. "But do you trust them?"

Once again, my over-imaginative brain kicked into overdrive.

Were... they trying to kidnap me?

It seems like a bit of a leap, I know, but they were still just acquaintances to me. 

But as I got more details of the project, from Swinburne's COVID Safety Guidelines for Student Productions, to later completing the government's official Infection Control Training module online, and the approval of my parents... I said yes, and was set to go.

On Wednesday, I bought things for the journey, and packed. I found it funny, how my sister had just come back from a 5-day long camping trip with her boyfriend's family and friends, and now I was going on a trip of my own.

I was super disappointed when my mother wasn't flabbergasted. Sure, she had questions, like "Why did they pick you?" and "What's the film all about?" but... she was happy for me. After witnessing her daughter remain home for months on end, barely taking steps outside, doing her online work and seeming miserable towards the ends of the semesters... I was being given a golden opportunity to go out, make some friends, leave the house, have an amazing experience. It wasn't until her telling me this that it really sunk in how lonely lockdown in 2020 was. I really needed this. I couldn't back down.

There were times throughout Tuesday and Wednesday where I thought about cancelling. Lily even prompted me to say no if I felt pressured to come. But I remembered another experience in life when an opportunity like this landed in my lap. One of my school teachers had picked me and two others to complete work experience at a Woolworths, which led to my first ever part-time job. As a fairly anxious and introverted young girl, who had barely turned 15, I was tempted to say no. But my teacher said,

"If the scheduling doesn't fit with you or your parents, it's okay to refuse, but if you want to say no just because you're nervous or scared, you must do it."

Something stirred inside me, telling me... that if I didn't go, I would regret this. And... from what I'd seen in our conversations, Tanner and Lily were desperate for a CSO. I was the only person they knew who was cool enough and free for all the shooting days to do it. Tanner later joked that it was "the last round of Mario Party that did it," but I'm glad they sensed I was a good person. My instinctual drive to help fueled me even more.

The final thing I remembered was a saying from the role models of my high school, Sister Mary MacKillop; "Never see a need without doing something about it."

All these things steeled my resolve. I wasn't going to back down. I couldn't back down. They needed me.

It doesn't mean I was left without any anxieties, I felt like I was going to be at least a little wary of the whole thing until I finally arrived home, safe and sound, able to look back on the whole experience.

And that... leaves us off for now, on my account of the Phillip Island journey for the Indigo music video production! Hahaha. You'll have to check in on Sunday to see Day 1, and the Sundays after that for the next few days.

But I realise of course I can't just leave you all off with no explanation as to what Indigo and this production really are all about!

(DISCLAIMER: I don't own this picture, it was edited by Emily Reeve, 1st Assistant Director/Co-Producer for Indigo.

I can't find the certain original source of this image, but TinEye's reverse image search engine says roryglimore's Tumblr is the earliest place where it appears: https://roryglimore.tumblr.com/post/158940386590/greek-mythology-c-i-r-c-e

HERE is the GoFundMe page for Indigo, and the description (with a few edits by Lily) reads:

"What is the project about?

Indigo seeks to celebrate, uplift and empower those who are repressed and oppressed for their femininity by patriarchal forces.

Our Protagonist and artist Holly struggles to sing from an open grave as disembodied hands struggle against her implosive pulses to free herself. It is a hole she cannot escape alone – she needs the help of may strong feminine witches to release her. Their unity heals Holly's open grave and, in time, flowers bloom from its soil."

If you want to see more more direct Indigo content like BTS pictures and film-making advice, you can check out the project's Instagram and Tik Tok! There will be much more to come over the next few weeks. I'd like these blog posts to accent that content as well! From a writer's perspective, one who's very new to a film set, hehe.

Furthermore, if you can donate, please do! Every little bit counts. The money would be going towards super important production expenses, which include catering, travel, props, costumes, hair and makeup, and equipment. As of right now, they've reached $383 of their $2000 goal! If you can't, it's alright. Sharing the project around helps immensely as well!

That's about it for today's blog post. I know it's not Sunday, but I thought it would be an excellent set up for the posts to come. Check in here for updates!

And with that, take care and stay safe, everybody! Have a wonderful week.

Comments

Popular Posts